Friday 9 May 2014

6A Informal trial

I have carried out an informal interview trial with the questions I have created. This is the main tool I'm experimenting with and feel it will provide sufficient data to aid me through my inquiry. The semi-structured interview style is what I used, after researching the process Dawson (2009) explained, that Semi-Structured interview is the most commen type of style to use when collecting quantitive data. The researcher wants to collect specific information that can later be compared to other interviewees answers. I wanted to experiment with this style to see if I gained informative answers that I can compare and contrast in my inquiry.

I found the process of my trial interview very comforting. I felt my choice for using this tool was correct, as the results I was getting from the interview answers were the knowledge of the interviewees personal experiences (which is what I was hoping for). The data I was collecting would provide an excellent base for me to work from. As mentioned in a previous blog, I anticipated my questions slightly changing with the answers given, which they did. Because my research is qualitative to gain effective and useful data the changing of questions will help me to exhaust all possible answers, " The researcher also wants the interview to remain flexible so that other important information can still rise" (Dawson, 2009, p.28)

Something I have learnt that could help me with this is note taking. Before going into the interview this is something I dismissed as I felt the recording device will provide me with all the information collected. However, during the trial interview, as mentioned some of the answers given helped trigger off possible ideas to ask. As time went on, this idea had been subsidized with another, then another and before too long, I forgot what the first new question was. After this experiment, I went back to my questions and adapted some changes resulting in my final questions being:

1. What techniques do you use to tackle a disruptive pupil?
2. Do you find your energy levels affect the classroom?
3. How does your style of teaching change with different age groups?
4. Do you find it difficult to plan motivating yet useful tasks for the pupils?
5. What are your techniques to keep the pupils attention?
6. How much of pupils participationg is useful to you?
7. What methods do you use with a disruptive pupil?


 The recording equipment helped a great deal throughout the interview. I was able to listen and fully partake in the process and felt the individual who was answering the questions was comfortable to divulge their personal experiences. It was easy for me to maintain good eye contact, allowing there to be a trusting atmosphere.





No comments:

Post a Comment