Tuesday 31 March 2015

Findings so far...



A different direction perhaps?


Over the last month I have found my research has taken a new direction I didn't think would be emphasised in my inquiry. The interview process was to ask the same questions to one classroom teacher and one dance teacher, but keeping it semi-structered to allow for different topics to arise if necessary. Throughout the two interviews there are moments of in depth discussion about the different methods of discipline used in the two different teaching environments including examples of these.

In the middle of the both interviews, on exactly the same question both teachers brought up positive reinforcement and spoke about how this is a strong technique used to encourage and create a positive atmosphere. They both spoke about the specific language used to help reinforce discipline in the classroom, for example, using phrases such as "I really like the way you accomplished that because we got this outcome" or "Lovely sitting is being shown in this area." Rather than singling out the unruly behaviour to a class full of students, positive reinforcement concentrates on the correct behaviour being used in the classroom and praising such individuals.



Now where should I go?


After speaking with Paula about the findings from my interview she suggested to possibly carry out another two interviews with different teachers to see if there were similar developments in those interviews. In order for me to concentrate on this new direction I felt I needed to gain more data and felt that the extra interviews would produce this outcome. After finding two available practitioners i have completed one and am waiting to start the other this week, and am very excited to see the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment