Saturday 14 December 2013

Task 3a- Current Networks


To help me stimulate my thoughts on my networks i carried out a brainstorm. 



The way I engage with these networks is as followed-

Facebook

I use facebook to interact with my friends mostly, however it is the biggest networking system I use to search for auditions and events. I us the groups to sign up to networks that post about upcoming auditions or important diary dates. I use the messaging to message friends i met within previous contracts to see if they have any upcoming audition dates. I look up the different status updates from friends to see how their contract is going and get feedback on different companies within the industry. It a very helpful networking system to allow me to reach people I don't often speak to, and find out more information about auditions. 

Email
I use the emailing network to send information to casting directors or companies looking for dancers and performers and to gain an audition. This helps me to keep connected with people, and keep a log of contacts i may need to use in the future.

Google
Google allows me to research for new auditions and events. But also, to find information about casting directors and companies. It also enables me to research new and exciting projects I find interesting, new dance companies, new musicals coming to the UK, new dance classes etc. 

Instagram
This I try and use to keep in contact with friends and family. Its an exciting new app on my phone I can use to see what people see. It is also a good way to follow a auditioning group that posts interesting pictures.

Linkden
This is something i have set up and explored however it is at the bottom of my list to use. However, it has a brilliant way of connecting with people you may know, and to suggest friends or yourself to someone i.e casting directors.

Auditioning/ Word of mouth

Attending auditions has another purpose than to gain experience and possibly a contract. It allows you to connect with new people and find out information about different auditions you may not have heard of. It also gives you the chance to experience different audition processes. Only the other week i managed to find out about an audition i had never heard of. When speaking about this to others i gained an understanding of what the company were about and how well they treated their employees. At the beginning of this course this was something i was never quite good at, however after this strong lead from another professional. this experience has taught me word of mouth networking can surprise and help me along my career. 


When i joined facbook I originally signed up to use to communicate with family and friends however. I noticed it is a brilliant way to promote yourself within the industry. I also began to understand the different groups and events i was getting invited to, and once I had joined that group, new groups and events presented itself to me, My contacts grew from there. It occurred to me that people had set up profiles in  order to just promote themselves as a professional within the industry, which I can imagine is a helpful motive to grow and move forward within contacts. They may find this activity to be helpful and their purpose is to network with a professional profile, in order to seem business like to other communities which can prove effective. 

I suppose my ideal network would be simple, however involve useful resources, self efficiency, outstanding amount of contacts, and the ability to promote myself. To achieve this is could experiment with all my networks and choose at least 3 sufficient and the most successful and commit to these three. I could transfer all contacts into one network and use them from there, to bring all connections together. I could look more into Linkden and establish a community within this programme. there are so many different routes i could build up my ideal network. 


No comments:

Post a Comment